top of page

General advice on Double Bass Insurance

Before you buy music insurance, musical instrument insurance or any Double Bass insurance consider the cover you require. You should consider how you play your Double Bass. We hope that the following may help you consider what options are right for you:-


That depends, consider the following...

  • If you take your instrument out of the home, say to school or a gig, you will need to check that your household policy covers this (normally an out of home extension is required).

    • Most home policies require theft involving force but in practice Instruments are most often left in unlocked rooms or store rooms.

  • This extension will normally have a single item limit. Is your Double Bass below this limit?

  • Will it cover loss/ theft from a building e.g. a concert hall/ school or if left on a school bus?

  • What is your policy excess (typically €100, €250 etc.).

  • Will a claim following damage to your Double Bass affect your Contents No Claims Discount (if applicable).

  • Will your contents insurers know where best to repair your Double Bass?

  • If you damage your Double Bass would your contents policy pay for a loan of a Double Bass to enable you to continue to play?

  •  A specialist policy covers your Double Bass in and outside the home for the ROI and can be extended to cover the Double Bass on a worldwide basis.

  • A standard €0 policy excess applies (although you can consider taking an excess if required).

  • Policy extensions to include loaning of instrument.

  • Other benefits include:

    1. Worldwide, ROI and Premises only cover options

    2. Theft cover

    3. Accidental damage cover

    4. Loss cover

    5. Unspecified musical accessory cover comes as standard (limit €350)

    6. Unattended vehicle cover

    7. Hire costs in the event of a claim

    8. 14 days free cover when you borrow/acquire a new instrument (limit €3,500)

    9. ROI wide repair network

  • Depreciation cover is included as standard within MIS Underwriting musical instrument policy.

In addition to Double Bass insurance on the instrument you may be asked to play in public. Often you are then asked for music Public Liability cover (musician liability insurance). MIS Underwriting can provide cover for Public Liability.

Whilst MIS Underwriting provide comprehensive Double Bass insurance players should still look after their instrument as Double Bass insurance cannot cover everything and the following guidelines are we hope helpful:-

Temperature. Try to keep your instrument at room temperature. Extreme temps can damage your instrument and no insurance policy provides this cover.

Bow. Avoid handling bow hair directly with fingers. Do not over tighten the bow. Remember bow hair will wear out (not insured) and require replacement.

Strings – Sorry but these will break (not insured unless following damage). Check tension and tuning on regular basis. Consider string type – talk to your Retailer for advice as this can affect the sound of the instrument.

Case – it is worth investing in a good case.

Bridge – Check the bridge to make sure it has not started to lean.

Ask - Your retailer will provide you with the best advice and servicing. Support your retailer.

insurance quote.

Didn't find your question?

bottom of page